Lamb meatballs with broad beans & yoghurt
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
¾ cup white breadcrumbs
¼ cup milk
600g lamb mince
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted
1 tsp each ground cumin & coriander
1 tsp each sea salt & pepper, plus extra for sauce
Olive oil, plus extra for sauce
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp each mild chilli flakes & ground cumin
1 tbsp dried oregano
2 tins tomatoes
1 cup beef or chicken stock
½ cup frozen broad beans, blanched, refreshed, skins removed
1 cup De Winkel Plain Unsweetened Yoghurt
½ cup firmly packed coriander leaves, torn
Pasta or crusty bread
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Place the breadcrumbs and milk in a large bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the milk is absorbed.
3. Add the lamb mince, garlic, fennel, cumin, coriander and a tsp of sea salt and ground pepper. Take spoonfuls of the mince and mould into meatballs.
4. Place in a baking dish and drizzle over olive oil. Cook for 15 minutes until browned.
5. Meanwhile for the tomato sauce, heat a good glug of oil over a medium heat and add garlic, chilli flakes, cumin and oregano. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the garlic is soft. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced slightly, then add the stock and simmer for a further 10 to 15 minutes until thickened.
6. Transfer meatballs and broad beans to the sauce and simmer over medium to low heat for another 2 minutes.
7. Divide onto 4 plates, dollop with yoghurt and scatter over torn coriander leaves. Serve with pasta or crusty bread.