Lemon, blueberry & lavender drizzle loaf
Recipe can be made gluten-free by substituting flour with Healtheries gluten-free baking mix or Edmonds gluten – free flour
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
1-1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup De Winkel Plain Unsweetened Yoghurt
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 large eggs
Zest of 2 lemons
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
¾ cup blueberries
1/3 cup lemon juice
6 heads of lavender
For the glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into one bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
4. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated, lastly add blueberries, folding once.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
6. Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice, remaining 1/3 cup sugar and lavender in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside, leaving lavender in to infuse while the cake cooks.
7. When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a tray.
8. While the cake is still warm, remove lavender from lemon-sugar mixture and pour over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
9. For the glaze, combine the icing sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake, top with extra lavender sprigs.